COVID-19 has brought the struggles of our neighbors and community members to front-page news. While you are isolating at home, juggling distance learning and family life, and continuing to pull through these struggling times - we personally hope the best for you and your families. Despite the many difficulties that have presented themselves - the sudden shift to remote and online life has created many opportunities for people to bridge the gap into technology. We hope that the list of resources below helps you or someone you know.
Please note that there is no apparent relationship between WIT and organizations below. It is just a pool of resources we have found being used in our communities or have used ourselves. If you are offering a service or know someone that is, please let us know to add to the list.
Return to Campus: Technology Pointers
- Technology Pointers at the University of Minnesota
- internetessentials.com provides low-cost internet and computers.
- mymove.com guides on how to get free and discounted internet.
- Guides to Internet Service During COVID-19:
- Local nonprofits giving computer devices to keep or loan:
- Software Programs for High School & College Students
IT Training and Online Learning
Starting IT Career Free to Low-Cost Training
- Creating IT Futures is a local company offering free training to pivot into IT.
- Grow with Google offers many certification routes for entry level jobs.
Free IT Training and Certifications
- AWS Cloud Training
- CBT Nugget IT Training
- Cisco Networking Academy
- Federal Virtual Training Environment (FedVTE) provides free online cybersecurity training to federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government employees, federal contractors, and U.S. military veterans.
- freecodecamp.org provides free training, certification, and portfolio at end.
- Fortinet Free Cybersecurity Training
- INE IT Training: Networking, Cloud, Cyber Security, Data Science & Business Plans
- Jamf 100 Course and Jamf 200 Course, including free online certification
- LinkedInLearning is free with a UMN Internet ID or library card.
- Microsoft Learn
- Trailhead provides free SalesForce training.
- VMware Education Services
General Online Learning
- 10times.com is a directory of national tech events.
- EdX Courses
- EventBrite online events for various topics
- Hennepin County Library
- Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
- Minneapolis Public Schools
- RCR Wireless News
- SwitchUp offers tech bootcamps.
- Coding Bootcamps for Women
- 7 Resources for Women Breaking Into Kubernetes